[PLUG] Problems with permissions and group membership...I thnik

sothisistheinternet sothisistheinternet at gmail.com
Sun Oct 1 00:01:23 WST 2006

Hi all,

I've just installed FC5 and am having a play with permissions on a
directory that will become a samba share. I want members of the
sambaaccess group to have access, but noone else.

- I created the sambaaccess group.
- I used gpasswd +a [user] [group] to add the users (I had already
created with useradd) to the sambaaccess group
- I did a chgrp sambaaccess to the directory I'm working with,
/sambadirectory
- I did chmod 770 /sambadirectory

When I log in as a user that is a member of the sambaaccess group I
cannot even cd into the directory unless I chmod 775 /sambadirectory.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

Ari