[plug] DIY hosting - worth it?

Gavin Chester sales at ecosolutions.com.au
Sun Oct 1 22:33:33 WST 2006

On Sat, 2006-09-30 at 23:01 +0800, Patrick Coleman wrote:
> If you're going to have that kind of downtime you mentioned, then its
> going to be a pain hosting at home IMHO. Better to go colo if you need
> the flexibility;

The downtime is the big killer for me - it's bad enough running a
business from home when the phones are out for 7 days and I'm not within
mobile service range to divert calls ... bloody Telstra.  I've begged
and promised my fortune and first-born child (too late for that
anyway ;-)) if they could guarantee to fix my line in 24hrs or less, but
no good.

As an alternative to colo, I mentioned offsite mirroring for far less
cost to cope with my downtimes.  Does anyone know the pros and cons of
mirroring?

Gavin