[plug] apt-cacher

groups groupsmcl at iinet.net.au
Tue Oct 3 17:06:27 WST 2006

bob wrote:
> On Tuesday 03 October 2006 13:30, you wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>

> Hi Steve,
>

>> Does anyone have experience in getting apt-cacher working (1.5.3)
>>

> I'm running apt-cacher here in ubuntu. Hopefully I can shine some light :)
>

>> I am running an up-to-date Debian 'testing' on a P4.
>>
>> It seems to download and store packages but other machines don't get
>> them.
>>
>> Unable to bind socket (port 3142), trying again in 5 seconds.
>> Unable to bind socket (port 3142), /usr/sbin/apt-cacher not started.
>>
>> It would seem to be similar to
>>
>> Anyway, any help is appreciated.
>>

> Some random thoughts...
>
> apt.conf should look something like
> Acquire::::Proxy "false";
>
> (NOT Acquire::http::Proxy "false"; )
>
> What's your firewall say about port 3142?
>
> Otherwise what do you have in /etc/apt-cacher ? In particular things like
> allowed_hosts= in apt-cacher.conf
>
> HTH.

Hi Bob,

Umm my apt.conf does not have any line with 'aquire'

I'll seek to change this.

As for a firewall .. have I got one ?  (I didn't install one
specifically.  My setup is an extension of a 'stable' installation from cd.)

Hmmm how to check ...

Thanks for the reply, I'll go and rummage with the machine.

Cheers,