[plug] Drive Overlays and Linux.

Shannon Carver shannon.carver at gmail.com
Wed Oct 4 15:27:47 WST 2006

Heh, the filesystem Debate!

In the past I've stuck this rule:

Mission Critical (Routers/Firewalls or boxes that aren't storing/moving a
lot of data)/Boot Partitions: ext2/ext3
Desktop/Laptop/Mass Storage: ReiserFS

I've recently been doing some reading on XFS though, which apparently is
fantastic for large files/movies/videos, and have heard success stories from
people running reiserfs for OS/Programs/Small files storage and XFS for
large storage spread across different partitions and disks.

It's all personal choice really though, many distro's default to reiserFS as
opposed to ext2/3 as they used to so its probably just best to try a few and
see what suits you.

I'm not sure of the name of the Sun (???), might have been JFS?  Someone was
raving about it recently on the Plug list, and from what I can remember it
was a step in the database filesystem direction (What WinFS was supposed to
be).