[plug] Filesystem benchmarks

Gregory Orange gregory.orange at metoceanengineers.com
Thu Oct 5 09:17:40 WST 2006

Shannon Carver wrote:
> That was the one I read! Thanks..
>
> Quite frankly, its s#$ts all over ReiserFS.  I'm considering rebuilding my
> main machine from ground up, with XFS for everything... We'll see.  Is it
> worth a week long Gentoo compile :P

 From what I understand, XFS is a high performance filesystem,
especially when considering large-ish sizes (ours is ~1TB atm).
Unfortunately, it also seems to be built for robust systems, so doesn't
handle crashes particularly well. From our experience, we have learnt to
build the OS and the hardware in such a way that the system will never
ever go down hard, else we pay for it in fs repair time and effort.
Needless to say, our backups are treated as critical.

So as I'm sure has been said on this topic many times in many places,
it's horses for courses.

Greg.