[plug] GRUB problem (resolved)

Jim Householder nofixed at westnet.com.au
Sat Oct 7 23:36:50 WST 2006

Hi

I've got a problem with grub.  It does *not* like disk drive changes,
and absolutely will not allow booting from hda if it does not like hdb!

I have MS installed on hda and fc5 on hdb.  I want to install OpenSUSE
on a third disk so I removed hdb and replaced it with the new drive.

I wanted to boot MS -

GRUB GEOM ERROR

I removed the new drive -

GRUB HARD DISK ERROR

Now I can see it refusing to deal with a new hdb since it's rather
unlikely that what it expects is going to be in the same places.
However its refusal to continue to use hda is very annoying.

Hang on!  Before I get to upset, perhaps I should follow the old maxim:
When all else fails, read the instructions.

As I was perusing the grub info file I realised that what's on hda is
basically a pointer to the configuration file and loader on hdb, which
is no longer available... It does not know what is on hda or where it is.

I'm going to try my luck with a boot CD.

Jim