[plug] Vacation Messages using Postfix

Jonathan Young jonathan at pcphix.com
Mon Oct 9 14:39:38 WST 2006

Hi All

I admin several Debian boxes out there that are running Postfix.  All
fairly standard set up, but most of the work was done by the techinician
before me and I have recently inherited their ongoing maintenance.

I was recently asked by a client who had been away for a while to remove
the 'vacation message' which was on his account.  I consulted the
previous tech and he got me to remove .vacation.msg and .procmailrc from
the user's home directory and this indeed turned the message off.

I now have another client who needs a vacation message so there are 3
things I would like to know how to do for future reference:

(1) Add a vacation message for a particular user with Postfix and have
the knowledge to control options relating to forwarding, auto-reply text
and avoiding sending a reply to every email (multiple messages from one
person for example).  I know this can be done, but have no idea how.
Most of my previous mail servers have been Qmail.

(2) Remove the vacation message - and know what I'm doing when I delete
the two files I mentioned above.

(3) Script or daemonise these changes so I can set and forget them at the
start of the person's leave instead of writing myself a reminder to go
back and undo it on their return.

Any/all help is appreciated even if it's just links to Postfix "how
to's" or similar.

Thanks

Jonathan Young
Director of PC-PHIX