[plug] debian/ubuntu package list copy for new install

Daniel Foote freefoote at gmail.com
Tue Oct 10 14:09:25 WST 2006

> I'd like to install on a new box all of the packages that are installed on
> an existing PC.
>   What is the appropriate way to do this? I guess just generate a text
> list of installed packages, and "apt-get install `cat my-list` "?

Try "dpkg --get-selections > my-list" on the original PC.

Take or otherwise get the file onto the new PC, then:

dpkg --set-selections < my-list

Not having done this before, I don't think that will automatically
install the packages. Something like "apt-get install" after the above
step should go and fetch all the appropriate packages and install them
for you.

Have fun!

Daniel Foote.