[plug] Ubuntu and Symbios 53c8xx SCSI driver

Steve Baker steve at iinet.net.au
Wed Oct 11 20:35:33 WST 2006

hi pluggers,

I installed Ubuntu on one of our servers last weekend, a Dell PowerEdge
2400.  After installation, the perc raid controller and aic-7xxx
(cd-rom) scsi controllers run correctly, but the driver for the Symbios
53c8xx card that the tape drive is attached to refuses to load.

After checking messages with dmesg, it seems that the symbios driver
wants the scsi_transport_spi module, but the other scsi drivers are
dependent on the scsi_transport_spi2 module, and after a bit of
experimentation it appears that you can't have both the spi and spi2
modules loaded at the same time.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get all of these devices
working?  Kernel version is 2.6.15 as distributed with the download.

Regards,
Steve