[plug] kill them dead

Gavin Chester sales at ecosolutions.com.au
Fri Oct 13 22:25:46 WST 2006

How does one go about getting rid of recalcitrant processes that refuses
to die, in other words how do I really, truly, instantly "kill them
dead", to quote the famous aussie advert from a bygone era?

I have some processes that misbehave then refuse to die even when I
issue 'kill -15 pid' or 'kill -9 pid' or 'pkill -9 process'.
Eventualllllllyyy, the damn thing gets the message, but meantime my life
has moved on and I want the resources freed to do other things ;-)

Gavin