[plug] kill them dead

Gavin Chester sales at ecosolutions.com.au
Fri Oct 13 23:57:15 WST 2006

On Fri, 2006-10-13 at 23:15 +0800, Adrian Chadd wrote:
> It doesn't hvae to be a kernel bug.
>
> You can't kill -9 a process locked waiting for NFS IO to complete, IIRC.
> There's more examples of that. Its certainly not a bug. :)

The process in question (k9copy) usually behaves very well, but when it
gets a disk that it can't handle it causes it to lock up jsut that
process.  Then the dvd drive is locked for any other signal or process
and no matter how many times I issue 'kill -9' the process
stays/persists.  I sometimes have luck with trying to start another
instance of k9copy and then killing the second instance followed by the
first, otherwise it's a reboot.  BTW: it seems disney discs are the most
troublesome ;-)

I'm worried by the things that you guys are telling me - it doesn't
sound good :-(

Gavin