[plug] Memory prices.

Daniel Foote freefoote at gmail.com
Sat Oct 14 13:52:50 WST 2006

> This may be somewhat off-topic, but doesn't it seem that memory prices
> are ridiculously low?
>
> I point to
> http://cgi.ebay.com.au/BRAND-NEW-MINI-DRIVE-8GB-MEMORY-USB2-0-FLASH-DISK_W0QQitemZ260039065405QQihZ016QQcategoryZ167QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
> which is, unfortunately still going, but had reached $150 for an 8GB USB
> drive .....
>
> and also
> http://cgi.ebay.com.au/New-2GB-2-GB-1-GB-BLUE-USB-Flash-Drive-Memory-Disk_W0QQitemZ190039923947QQihZ009QQcategoryZ167QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
>
> Where you can get a 2GB USB drive for under $50 -

As usual, sometimes you get what you pay for.

Apparently some very clever people figured out how to buy cheap
256-512MB drives and then "convince" the drives to report their size
as being a little bit higher than the actual capacity (say, 2GB).
Needless to say, trying to write that much data to them doesn't work
too well.

Its been going on for a while. As usual, if its too good to be true...
look at it more closely.

Ref:
<http://reviews.ebay.com.au/BEWARE-of-FAKE-1GB-2GB-4GB-8GB-USB-Flash-Drives-on-eBay_W0QQugidZ10000000000706427>

(I buy heaps of stuff on eBay, and recently a set of 512MB USB keys...
at $25 each. That price sounded reasonable to me and the seller
checked out. One of them died a few weeks after I got it, and the
seller exchanged it no-questions. So check out those sellers first!)

Hope this helps...

Daniel Foote.