[plug] kill them dead

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Sat Oct 14 20:22:20 WST 2006

Michael Holland <myk at myk.id.au> writes:
>On Fri, 13 Oct 2006, Gavin Chester wrote:

>> I have some processes that misbehave then refuse to die even when I
>> issue 'kill -15 pid' or 'kill -9 pid' or 'pkill -9 process'.

>If -9 doesn't work, it's a kernel bug, and the next step is a
>reboot, possibly a hard reset. Suspect a bad device driver. Any
>idea what they are doing?

Not necessarily a kernel bug. Some system calls are defined to
block. A kill -9 will not terminate a process in a large proportion
of system calls.
\ /  ASCII ribbon campaign | "Laws do not persuade just because
 X   against HTML mail     |  they threaten."
/ \  and postings          | Lucius Annaeus Seneca, c. 4BC - 65AD.