[plug] Cygwin

Patrick Coleman blinken at gmail.com
Sun Oct 15 21:48:40 WST 2006

On 10/14/06, Kev <kdownes at tpg.com.au> wrote:
> Whilst looking around wrt scripting languages I came upon this.
>
> http://x.cygwin.com/
>
> Anyone have any experience?  Here's an excerpt about it ...
> <snip>
>
> I figure that a bash shell in Windoze could make it much more useful.
>
> Kev

I like it because I can get bash and an environment I'm comfortable
in. I probably wouldnt use it for cron etc (never found the need, but
I gathered you would have to run some form of extra service) but for a
general unix-like environment and a copy of bash, vim, gcc and python
(and occasionally nmap :) it works very nicely.

Its also good for certain microcontroller programming tools that are
linux only. Because it just standalone installs to a directory, I can
stick it on my engineering home directory at uni and get access to it
everywhere I need it, on PCs that I don't necessarily have permissions
to install software on.

--Patrick