[plug] Closure of OSWA

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Sat Oct 21 22:39:35 WST 2006

On Sat, 21 Oct 2006, Chris Wake wrote:

> Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2006 09:56:28 +0800
> From: Chris Wake <sagenet at sagenet.net.au>
> To: plug at plug.org.au
> Subject: [plug] Closure of OSWA
>
> Hi All,
>  It's now pretty clear that the public has been misled and OpenSourceWA is in
> fact closing on 31st October rather than the relocation claimed by the
> Department of Imbeciles and Revocations - the server room is now a pathetic 3
> machine reflection of its former glory and Departmental flunkies have been
> busily auditing the premises (because they are truly incompetent and "can't
> find" the asset register) If anyone has any information with regards to the
> alleged 'relocation' I'd be happy to be informed!
>
> Now to the evidence! (available at http://www.saveopensourcewa.com)
> (apologies for the crappy pdf's - time constraints! :-)
>
> Stephen Grocott has claimed in both the article in the West Australian
> newspaper and in a response to a PLUG member's enquiry that there is no
> threat to funding and that the Department recognises the need to put more
> funding/resources behind Open Source activities. Looks a little like a load
> of garbage considering staff are being terminated 'due to budgetary
> constraints'! These are clearly conflicting statements and at the very least
> expose some pretty ordinary communication within the Department, if not a
> deliberate attempt to quell the community's discontent over the decision to
> close OSWA with a grubby lie. Typical of public servants!
>
> They are also stupid enough to be claiming to be terminating the contract
> under Clause 2 - ie the project is completed, but if it is just a relocation,
> not a closure then how can it have been completed? And why does the
> termination letter not refer to this?
>
> Personally, I think the Department's behaviour is nothing short of disgraceful
> - these people are managing taxpayers' money and are clearly not doing a very
> good job of it! Director General of the Department of Industry and Resources,
> Jim Limerick should be ashamed of himself and his staff.
>
> Sorry I'm a one-topic wonder but I can't believe these guys don't suffer any
> consequences from their LIES!
>
> Cheers
>
> --
> Chris Wake

So, why doesn't someone (like the President of PLUG, and, any others who
feel strongly about this) send an email message to the state opposition
spokesperson for the DOIR, requesting that a question be asked in state
parliament, as to whether the office and facilities are in fact being
closed down, despite assurances given to the public, that the office
and facilities would continue to be provided by the state government,
and, if the office and facilities are in fact being closed down or
reduced, why the state government has deliberately misled the public
about its intentions?

--
Bret Busby
Armadale