[plug] Evolution crash????

Gavin Chester sales at ecosolutions.com.au
Tue Oct 24 00:11:39 WST 2006

On Mon, 2006-10-23 at 22:13 +0800, Jim Leven wrote:
> Dear Perth Linux Users
>
> I have a problem that Evolution 2.6 has suddenly decided to crash on
> start up.
>
> It gives the message that "The application "evolution 2.6 has quit
> unexpectedly.  You can inform the developers...
>
> Restart   or close.
>
> Restarting just gets back to the same crash.
>
> Any suggestions would be most welcome.  I am running SuSE Linux
> Enterprise 10, and have reinstalled Evolution with no improvement in the
> situation.
>
> It is crashing on an email entitled "Borland Delphi.....", if this is
> significant.

A conspiracy against Borland, perhaps? ;-)

Seriously, you need to give more info.  Eg, how was it running before
the crashing; have you recently upgraded; from where did you get the
version you run (ie, was it packaged by a 3rd party); have you checked
that '/var' and/or '/tmp' is/are not full; have you forced a shutdown of
evo by issuing either "evolution --force-shutdown" or the older (and
better?) "/opt/gnome/lib/evolution/2.6/killev"; how did you reinstall -
did you rpm -e evolution first or just reinstall over the top; have you
tried winding back to an earlier version temporarily to see if the
problem persists; etc, etc? I use evo 2.6 on opensuse 10.1 and haven't
had such dramas.

Finally, if you really suspect an errant email with malformed headers or
something, then can you access your 'inbox' via a web interface and
delete said email that way?  Alternatively, if the email is already in
your 'inbox and you suspect it stopping evo starting then you might want
to try manually editing the mbox file to delete the mail (I haven't had
to do this myself so I presume it is do-able and won't muck up the mail
database).

HTH

Gavin