[plug] Evolution crash

Jim Leven jleven at geoseis.com.au
Tue Oct 24 19:14:23 WST 2006

Dear Gavin
Thanks for your assistance - to respond.

how was it running before the crashing;
I had downloaded the emails and was going thru deleting unwanted ones.
I cannot recall whether I tried to delete this one before it crashed on
not, but now on startup it is locked onto this Borland email and crashes
immediately.

have you recently upgraded;
Not since the SUSE Novel SLED install at the Open Source Centre.

from where did you get the version you run  -
Novel SLED (SuSE 10)

'/var' and/or '/tmp' is/are not full;
No

have you forced a shutdown of evo by issuing either "evolution
--force-shutdown" or the older (and
better?) "/opt/gnome/lib/evolution/2.6/killev";
Will try

how did you reinstall
Using Yast and the SLED DVD

have you tried winding back to an earlier version temporarily to see if
the problem persists;
No, as I would really like to preserve the existing mail

I use evo 2.6 on opensuse 10.1 and haven't had such dramas.

Finally, if you really suspect an errant email with malformed headers or
something, then can you access your 'inbox' via a web interface and
delete said email that way?
Errant email is already downloaded to the inbox.

 Alternatively, if the email is already in your 'inbox and you suspect
it stopping evo starting then you might want to try manually editing the
mbox file to delete the mail (I haven't had to do this myself so I
presume it is do-able and won't muck up the mail database).
Will try.

Regards
Jim Leven