[plug] Who want's my job?

Shayne O'Neill shayneo at bestflights.com.au
Tue Oct 31 10:12:21 WST 2006

Hey guys, Im moving on from my job as a full time coder at bestflights,
for personal reasons (I'm looking for a part time job outside of web
design, preferably either codeing or back in Journalism or technical
writing again.), and I'm throwing my job out there as a potential for
anyone who'd like a full time job in web design.

It's a geek friendly environment, with a fairly young + chilled
workforce. No suits and ties here. We've got a pair of web clusters,
with about 40 cpu's between them. One a web server cluster, and another
a development cluster we just mash the hell out of. All running God's
own Linux distribution (debian sarge).

Theres plenty of sweet tech to tool about with here. Clustering, raid,
redundant replicating databases, so on. The company runs quite a few
websites, most notable bestflights.com.au, bestcruises.com.au (which
you'll help upgrade out of the dinosour era) , bestcoachtours.com.au,
and bestadventures.com.au (The company never did go with my idea of
"bestbicyclerides.com.au") , most with some really interesting tech
behind it.

What's needed is someone who has;-
Solid PHP (+ mysql) skills.
Good SQL skills (If you know what a third order normalisation is, and
how to do an update query on it, your pretty much there) Good Perl +
Python skills (Regexes are a BIG bonus. So is an understanding of DOM
systems. We do a lot of data acquisition stuff involving our suppliers
and parsing 'unhealthy' xml feeds.) Solid linux skills. By solid I mean
"Can set up a NIS+NFS share with hands tied behind back, understands why
sudo is a good thing, and mastery the art of grep.
A bit of windows nous helps.
HTML + CSS abilitys are pretty necessary, being a web coder job and all.

If you have any experience with the travel industry, that would be
*magic*.

A good C undertanding is totally optional, but totally useful. We have a
bunch of redundant C code we'd like ported to php (gasp). Yes, C cgi's
are bad. I agree.

You absolutely won't be forced to endure Java or dot net.

You'll have 3 younger less experienced coders under you, so the role
requires you to have a tolerant and pedagogic aproach to the job. Don't
yell, teach. Its not a mangement type job however. It's a coder job.

The job IS a 9-5 mon-fri job, and sometimes there are deadline crunches
that might require a bit of overtime. It's a busy place.

So this job is pretty much perfect for someone with a degree with strong
coding skills, and some professional or open source experience in web
design. Always wanted to write your own CMS? You might be right for this
job.

Heres the "Too long; Didn't read version" ;-

Are you a GOOD programmer, understand linux, php, and scripting
languages (specifically python and perl) and are prepared to start asap
in a full time job. Apply now!

Contact Matt Lynch (My boss) at matt at bestflights.com.au and he can go
thru it with you, or if you just want to ask me some questions about the
specific tech skills , buzz me an email with a phone number and I'll get
right back to you..

(Sorry if this isnt apropriate for this list, I just thought it'd be
good to put this out to my PLUG mates first. )

Shayne
Bestflights IT Department