[plug] *bsd

Tomasz Grzegurzko tomasz89 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 1 06:40:42 WST 2006

On 8/31/06, loki <loki at ucc.asn.au> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm a long time lurker and would like to start attending
> the plug workshops.
>
> I have used linux a fair bit previously (a few years ago and
> intermittenly since). I would like to attend your meetings, but I
> predominantly use openbsd.
>
> I don't (I think) have a bias to/for any type of *nix derivitive.
>
> How would I fit into a LUG? I can help others via command line but don't
> need assistance myself (well usually). It's more a social thing (even if
> you do use THAT linux thing :P).
>
> I know I can learn LOTS regardless of the *nix der..devtav.. type.
> But your nights seem oriented toward new *nix users.
>
> What are your thoughts on a Perth Unix Users Group?
>
> Another thought; You previously had a hackers night for cool code
> ideas. Would this happen again?
>
> s/many questions//
>
> Glenn

I would think that the goals of BSD and Linux are fairly compatible,
and that's present in every Linux distro (thank goodness for ssh for
example!).

You could ``fork'' PLUG --> PUUG but I think you'd be creating a niche
within a niche somehow.. Heck my first commercial expose to *nix land
was SCO Unix, and to be honest I like CLI better than GUI especially
at fixing stuff up -- you always seem to be able to get more
information from the CLI.

One of the goals of PLUG is social, otherwise why get together for
workshops and what not? People can remotely assist (as has been shown
on the list) but no we CHOOSE to get together! Fixing via CLI in *nix
is akin to hacking registry in Windows, something I used to have to do
as part of my previous work in supporting the fault OS =)

Regards,
Tomasz Grzegurzko