[plug] website graphical-tree view

Gavin Chester sales at ecosolutions.com.au
Tue Sep 5 10:23:13 WST 2006

On Tue, 2006-09-05 at 00:16 +0800, Gavin Chester wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-09-04 at 21:40 +0800, Mark O'Shea wrote:
> > > Now, the only thing I am lacking is an ability to print out
> > > thumbnail views of the web pages.  I can display them in
> > > konqueror as thumbnails, but there is no way to print that
> > > view or create a gallery as you can with images :-(.
> > >
> > Have you had a look at gnome-web-photo?  Coupled with find it could go
> > through your website generating your images and then using what you've
> > already detailed it sounds like you're almost there.
>
> Thanks for that tip.  Reading the purpose of gnome-web-photo it sounds
> the bees-knees for html page thumbnails :-)  Funnily enough I already
> had it installed without knowing :-O  Trouble is, this little turkey
> sitting at this keyboard can't work out how to use it.  I read the help
> file (cryptic and oh so short!) and googled for some howto or examples,
> but no success.  I tried this command derived from the help file:
>
> gavin1 at susey:~> gnome-web-photo --mode thumbnail
> --url=file:///home/gavin1/directory-of-html-files/
> --output-filename=file-thumbs.html
>
> 	but that only gave a garbage file.  I can't make better sense of that
> dang help file than that :-(  Any pointers, please?
>
> Gavin

Replying to my own post, yet again ;-)

Doh! hit me with a clue bat, I misread the purpose of gnome-web-photo
entirely :-O  I had imagined that it would automatically parse all of
the html files of a url or folder into one html page of linked
thumbnails, just like many tools do for folders of images.  I have spent
hours trying different syntax and googling for clues on this app until I
found ONE example of its use cited on a mail list.  I finally
discovered, as users would know, it takes one html page at a time and
generates ONE png image thumbnail of that.  Doh!  The syntax that I
needed was this:

gavin1 at susey:~> gnome-web-photo --mode=thumbnail
--url=file:///home/gavin1/directory-of-html-files/file.html
--output-filename=file.png

Terrific, that works.  Now I just wish I knew enough to script that for
the whole folder giving each thumb a name derived from the original html
file name.  Better yet, someone got any pointers to doing this
automagically like an image thumbnailing app?

Gavin.