[plug] ssh scans

Shannon Carver shannon.carver at gmail.com
Mon Sep 11 09:30:43 WST 2006

Apart from all the obvious (Changing SSH port, disallowing connections from
all unknown hosts, or at least allowing connections from known hosts
subnets), there are a few nifty things you can do with iptables.

Two idea's I've seen in the past (using iptables):
- Limit the amount of connections to SSH from said IP, both by connection
basis and by time.  Basically allow one connection from an IP, both
concurrently, and per every 3-10 minute time period.  That way, if they
connect, get the password wrong 3 times, they physically can't connect to
try again for set time period.
- Have a web service running on an arbitary port (think 57435 or something),
which when connected to opens Port 22, or SSH port for that IP for a time
period.

I'm not sure if it will help, and how in-the-know your users are, but you
could disable password access completely, and require everyone to login with
public/private keys?  I'm not sure if this adds more security concerns
though.