[plug] Fluid damage to Laptop

Paul Arch paul at sdmgroup.com.au
Mon Sep 11 09:39:23 WST 2006

Daniel Pearson (Flashware Solutions) wrote:
> I second that, the last time I flew back to Perth from Sydney I had a few drinks
> (like all other culprits, it was red!) and had spilled it over my machine -
> didn't seem to do any damage. That was 2 months ago, has been running fine since..
>
> Cheers

Does your machine emit a lovely wine odour once it heats up ? ;)

On a more serious note, back to the original poster, it would be worth
your while pulling down the laptop and putting the mainboard in some
sort of circuit board cleaner - something like :
<http://au.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSearch/partDetail.jsp?sku=725687>

We used this for cleaning in-house printed circuit boards, its good
since it isn't 'too' nasty like some of the other products.  Some of my
old work collegues have had success using this to clean circuit boards
from mobile phones that found their way into disaster ( eg. ocean )

I am not sure about the hard disk - in theory it should be fully sealed
and water tight ( to keep dust out ), but I don't this I would actually
submerge it in anything.

The speakers might be damaged though - their physical makeup seem to be
some type of paper material for their surroundings.  Depends how long
they were wet for maybe.

cheers

--

Paul Arch