[plug] Booting with root RAID1 with a missing disk?

Matt Kemner zombie at penguincare.com.au
Mon Sep 11 15:45:54 WST 2006

On Mon, 11 Sep 2006, quoth Andrew Furey:

> Ah, of course, presumably since from memory RAID1 treats the first
> disk as the master and syncs the others from it. Now it works
> better...

It's actually a little smarter than that. It works out which of the disks
was last written to, and therefore is likely to have the most up-to-date
information.

> Now I just have to reproduce the problem with some official tools,
> like WD's own diagnostics programs. No luck so far, with alternating
> between extended test and "write zeros"... I suspect it's not really
> stressing the disk enough :(

Can you reproduce the errors in another machine under Linux again?
eg try stressing out the disk with "bonnie++"

Kind Regards,

 - Matt Kemner
  Penguin Care		Tel: Perth 08 9322 3444	Brisbane 07 3337 9988
  Mob: 04 2022 3444	Fax: Perth 08 9221 3444	Brisbane 07 3337 9977