[plug] Linux desktops sneak into NSW Education

Adrian Chadd adrian at creative.net.au
Tue Sep 12 11:29:18 WST 2006

On Tue, Sep 12, 2006, Senectus . wrote:
> On 12/09/06, Bruce M. Axtens <bruce.axtens at gmail.com> wrote:
> >But how long until (more) viruses and spyware DO exist for Linux? If as
> >many sociopaths get as fixated on killing Linux as they are on killing
> >Windows isn't it all just a matter of time?
> >
> The idea is that the superior Open Source development model will help
> shield it from such idle chaos.

Nah, it won't work. The development model doesn't force people to upgrade.
The development model doesn't force people to write 'correct' code.
It allows 'many eyeballs' to see the code, to verify the code and to
improve the code, but that doesn't preclude security vulnerabilities from
creeping in.

I'm sure there's -plenty- of dumb security bugs in the Linux kernel
and I'd hazard a guess that there's a number of blackhats already using
these unknown exploit vectors to silently own machines. I mean, the
last procfs bug? Come on!

> Linux is by no means _rare_ it's already open to that sort of abuse
> and has been for quite some time... when was the last time you saw a
> truly dangerous Linux virus? (apart from the GPLv3 that is)

Hm, PHPBB-hacked machines which are then rooted, all automated-style,
doesn't count?

What about hacked machines which are then used to port-scan to find
vulnerable machines, which are then automatically hacked and used to
port-scan even more machines, does that count?

What about when people do the above to harvest user account details;
knowing people have a tendency to use the same password for multiple
services. Then they get into your email, then they get into your
home computer, or your office VPN, or ..

There's plenty of frightening *nix vulnerabilities out there.
They're just not 'shiny'. They're not obvious. They don't hog massive
amounts of bandwidth trying to send spam or aggressively network scan.
Thats the kind of scary stuff that the Windows exploit writers are now
starting to cotton in on - best way for a virus to survive is for it
to not act that suspiciously. ;)

Adrian