[plug] ubuntu live dvd

hatari hatari at iinet.net.au
Sun Sep 17 21:52:06 WST 2006

Jim Householder wrote:
> Michael Holland wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 16 Sep 2006, Jim Householder wrote:
>>
>>> I selected the first menu entry to start ubuntu.  Things appeared to
>>> proceed normally (no errors reported).  Then the screen went black.
>>

>> How far did you get? No more choices after the boot menu?
>> You saw the graphics console, but X didn't work ?
>>
> No more choices were presented after the boot menu.  After some booting
> messages in brown the screen went blank.  X appeared to be working but
> displaying nothing.
>
>>> would enter standby mode.  Neither keyboard nor mouse had any effect.
>>

>> Did you try CTRL-ALT-F1 to get out of X, back to the console, or
>> ctrl-alt-backspace?
>> Otherwise how were able to view the log ?
>>
> Ctrl-alt-F2.  C-a-backspace terminated X, which then restarted.
>

>>> I just tried again and found a number of error messages at the end of
>>> /var/log/Xorg.0.log indicating problems accessing /dev/wacom.
>>

>> The wacom stuff is normal. You can ignore it.
>>
>> If you e-mail me the Xorg.0.log, I'll take a look.
>

> Thanks.  I will try again and save the log file and the xorg.conf that
> was used.
>
> Rather odd:  I tried c-a-F1 to F8 and got the following:
> F1:  logged in to :0 - normal bash prompt
> F2 - F6:  logged in to tty1, tty5, tty2, tty4, tty3
> F7:  no signal.  However c-a-backspace causes the signal to be asserted
> briefly until X has restarted.
> F8:  looks like a boot log.
>

>> Otherwise, it might be easiest to do a text-mode install, and then
>> fix X afterwards.
>>
> I really don't want to install, just check it out.
>
> Jim

Jim, the first option on that disc gives me a "live" or "virtual"
ubuntu.  However I might add.... it does take a while to get through the
boot up.  While the startup messages aren't visible the "OK" at the end
of each line is only barely readable.  So it almost appears to be a
"blank" screen.  Takes about 5 minutes to boot too.  [P.S. Doesn't
appear to complete the shutdown fully either; I had to hit re-boot
button.  Yuk!]

wayne