[plug] OSWA closing ?

Alex Nordstrom lx at se.linux.org
Wed Sep 20 18:23:32 WST 2006

Monday, 18 September 2006 13:21, Adrian Chadd wrote:
> So, excluding "internet" and computing companies, is there some
> examples of WA businesses and companies who have realised real
> benefits through OSS? And where's all this wonderful information
> hiding on the greater web? :)

I think a lot of companies are hesitant to talk about it for two
reasons.

Firstly, some companies are afraid of being bullied by the big guns
whose software they're supplementing or replacing. I wouldn't be
surprised if some techies are even keeping quiet about it for the
long-term benefit of the company to avoid the boss being approached
with a sweet short-term deal to go back to proprietory land.

The second reason is even more obvious: if it is a competitive
advantage, you don't want to spread the news to your competitors.

Because of this, it may be easier to find success stories in the public
sector and NGOs, but the first reason is still highly applicable there.

--
Alex Nordstrom
http://lx.n3.net/