[plug] Python book

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Fri Sep 22 10:18:02 WST 2006

Jim Householder <nofixed at westnet.com.au> writes:

>A while back I bought a book on Python for a 'good price'.  Now I know
>why...

>It's Osborne Books' "Python: The Complete Reference" by Martin C. Brown,
>  2001, and has an incredible number of mistakes in the examples.  I
>will avoid that author in the future.

>Is there a reasonable book that is both an introduction/programming
>guide, as well as a reference?

Is your microwave a good dishwasher? :-)

For an introduction; O'Reilly publishes Lutz & Ascher's "Learning
Python". Covers language basics well and has worked examples that
behave as expected when typed correctly into an interactive Python
interpreter.

For language reference, I use the definitive one for the version
installed:
file://localhost/usr/share/doc/packages/python/html/index.html :-)
There are printable references, tutorial and various other stuff in
/usr/share/doc/packages/python/paper-a4/ for study on the throne.

Depending on your application, John Goerzen's "Foundations of Python
Network Programming" published by APress may prove insightful. Deals
with all sorts of protocols, XML, "port bashing", etc. But you need
a fairly sound basis in Python (e.g. via Lutz&Ascher) to get the
full value.
\ /  ASCII ribbon campaign | "Laws do not persuade just because
 X   against HTML mail     |  they threaten."
/ \  and postings          | Lucius Annaeus Seneca, c. 4BC - 65AD.