[plug] Status of Opensource WA

Phill Twiss phill.twiss at opensource.wa.gov.au
Fri Sep 22 11:06:53 WST 2006

G'Day All

	In answer to an earlier question, yes, I do know how to post.  However it is
not so much about saving my job as making sure that there is some way that
opensource can be made easily available to people. ( after all, when was the
last time you saw an ad for Linux on TV? ).  I have followed these lists and
web sites with great enthusiasm :}

	Unfortunatley I am not allowed to comment on these things.

	Please address all requests for information/correspondence to
		Stephen Grocott
       9222 0999
       Stephen.Grocott at doir.wa.gov.au

------------

	However, I can say a huge thank you to all the groups, organisations and
individuals that have assisted and promoted opensource software during my
time with OSWA.

	Some of my favourite memories of this time are things like the APRICOT
conference ( which we were involved with, I learnt more about DNS and DNSSEC
and even IPV6 in a 5 day course that I had in administering my own networks/
DNS in the last 10 years :} ), if you get a chance, go to the APRICOT 2007
confernce in Bali :}.  Also our technology roadshow, in fact, there is so
many things/conferences etc we were involved in that I cant even list them
all :}.

	Also a big thank you to all those people who came in and went home and
installed some of the things we were looking at. ( Zoneminder, Cacti, MythTV
or one of the many other software packages we demonstrated ).  It always gave
me a smile and a sense of achivement whenever someone went away with huge
enthusiasm for opensource projects :}

	And a massive thanks to Slackware ( www.slackware.org ), my favourite
distribution :}  Unfortunatly my plans of running a high-speed mirror of this
distribution and others will have to wait :}  Slackware 11.0 is just around
the corner, I encourage you to all download a copy and give it a try
( especially you debian die hards, geez! :} ).

	I have not contacted all of you regarding the equipment you have in the
centre, however over the next week or so I will endever to contact those
involved and organise an appropriate time for them to retrieve that
equipment.

	Some of you have contacted me by email and wanted to know my availability :}

	As of October 31st, once I have packed up the operation out here, my contract
is terminated.  So I am available to offers again :} ( obviously fun stuff
involving opensource will get first preference :} ).  Resume available by
request :}  Feel free to ring me for a chat on 0414 097 536

	Regards

	Phill Twiss

	( Long live the penguin! )

--

                     OpenSource WA
             http://www.opensource.wa.gov.au

	     Enterprise Unit 3, Suite 3
	     	Work :	+61 8 9451 0909
		Fax  :  +61 8 9472 5948
		Mobile : +61 (0) 414 097 536
		email :	phill.twiss at opensource.wa.gov.au

       An economic development initiative of the
Department of Industry and Resources ( Western Australia )
              http://www.doir.wa.gov.au