[plug] Billion modem-router

Arie Hol arie99 at ozemail.com.au
Fri Sep 22 21:46:58 WST 2006

On 22 Sep 2006 at 8:16, Milan Pospisil wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>              My Billion BiPAC7402VL VoIP ADSL Modem-Router decided to call
> it a day and I need a replacement rather urgently. Could someone please
> recommend a half way decent piece of equipment( or perhaps share his
> experience, whatever it may be) which will work with Linux at a modest
512
> K speed(or perhaps a bit higher :-)

A common problem with Billion ADSL modem/routers - the switch contacts
burn away over a period of time - due to the switch contact being made of
very thin copper plate and when switched across the contacts the copper
plate gets burnt away by arcing across the contacts.

I fixed mine by removing the top cover of the switch and soldering a wire
into the notches across the contacts.

It is not the most elegant repair but the modem/router has worked
flawlessly ever since - I just need to switch it on/off using the power
point switch instead of the modem on/off switch.

Regards Arie