[plug] Apache2 questions

Mark O'Shea mark at musicalstoat.co.uk
Thu Sep 28 18:12:17 WST 2006

On Thu, 2006-09-28 at 17:52 +0800, Lee Jamieson wrote:
> I changed that one too, and it still didn't work; I was getting a 403
> forbidden error.  I'm not sure how to allow access to anonymous
> computers, but when I get home I'll go through the apache docs again
> and see if I can set that.
One gotcha for newbies is that you need to make sure the user that
Apache is running as can scan all directories in the path to that
directory.  So if that user isn't the owner, nor in the group that owns
that directory the 'other' permissions need the x in them.

In your case the path is simple. /home can be scanned by all
and /home/webserver should be scannable and readable by the user apache
is running under.
ls -ld /home/webserver
drwxr-xr-x 89 webserver webserver 4096 Sep 28 17:56 /home/webserver

This of course may not be your problem, but you should check it because
it can be a show stopper if you are not aware of that.

> Out of curiosity, I changed everything back to it's original state,
> and tried again.  From firefox on my XP box the Apache splash page
> displayed, but from IE there was another 403 forbidden; also from my
> brother's computer in perth, he got the same thing.

I suspect it was IE caching the error (what a dumb thing to do), but
don't quote me on that.