[plug] DIY hosting - worth it?

Patrick Coleman blinken at gmail.com
Sat Sep 30 23:01:19 WST 2006

On 9/30/06, Gavin Chester <sales at ecosolutions.com.au> wrote:
> DIY hosting - is it worth it?

If you're going to have that kind of downtime you mentioned, then its
going to be a pain hosting at home IMHO. Better to go colo if you need
the flexibility; it will be a heap faster and more reliable than
anything you can do at home (economies of scale and all that) but you
will be looking at spending a bit of money. You'll have to do the
maths and work out your power consumption and network costs and
downtime at home, versus savings on hosting your own domains etc and
see if its worth it.

That said, Hostaway (formerly Arachnet) do very decent colo from about
$70/m for 2RU (which might even be cheaper than satellite). I've got a
box hosted with them, and I gather PLUG has had a server or two there
for quite a while. I'd definitely recommend looking at them if you
decide to go down that route.

--Patrick

--
http://www.labyrinthdata.net.au