[plug] Fwd: Passion Movie This Saturday

Brad Campbell brad at wasp.net.au
Tue Apr 10 02:03:55 WST 2007

Arie Hol wrote:

> At the console and command line - I use nano.

I've not used nano. I had to work on a busybox based embedded system for a while that had only a
minimal implementation of vi and to be honest it's the best thing I ever learned, as it's *always*
there no matter the system.

> In the GUI : - I use gedit

So do I these days. Could never get the hang of gvim. I *used* to use nedit and I still think it's
great. I only switched to gedit as all my user type machines these days run Ubuntu instead of Debian
with WindowMaker (Which I used exclusively until I tried Ubuntu 6.06). I'm slowly getting used to Gnome.

> vi is good but it bends my head too much trying to remember all the
> keystrokes.

Honestly, if you start with vim and get used to the majority of the keystrokes then if you ever have
to move to a pure vi system it's a lot easier. And if you do much dabbling with any system other
than your own it will pay off big time quickly.

Brad