[plug] GPS and maps

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Fri Apr 20 00:09:56 WST 2007

"Patrick Coleman" <blinken at gmail.com> wrote:
>On 4/19/07, William Kenworthy <billk at iinet.net.au> wrote:

>> Just got myself a cheap GPS to use with my treo. Are there any useful
>> maps of Perth and surrounds available?

>I recall ages ago reading about someone who had pulled map images off
>google maps, and written a script under linux that took the NMEA GPS
>data and plotted it on the maps for his carpc. He had to manually
>calibrate each map, but it turned out to be good, high-quality mapping
>images once he'd finished. Obviously no route mapping, though.

GPSdrive will do it I think. Apparently able to download appropriate
maps by itself from maps.google

Unfortunately, the only maps available for Australia appear to be
by Senseless (or something that sounds similar and means the same
thing). TomTom maps for Australia cost 200 Euros. You can get all of
Europe from TomTom for about 60 Euros.

Germany/Austria/Switzerland plus other major European roads, on
mini-SD (with SD adapter) + genuine TomTom GPS bluetooth set me back
140 Euros from a retailer (in Germany) via eBay.

I could "upgrade" to include Australian maps but there doesn't seem
to be much point. Nobody looks as though they know where they're
driving in Australia!

>I can't find it anywhere unfortunately - just had a look now. If you
>were looking for route mapping, though, it may not be what you want
>anyway; otherwise I can dig a bit further.

I have Cetus GPS on my Treo for track-logging from GPS. Haven't yet
gotten to downloading to Linux and mapping.

I understand that the tracklogs can be "replayed" into GPSdrive once
extraced from the CetusGPS log databases. There's free software with
CetusGPS to do it and the main app is also open source. Just to keep
this on-topic! :-)
\ /  ASCII ribbon campaign | The object of life is not to be on the side of
 X   against HTML mail     | the majority but to escape finding oneself in
/ \  and postings          | the ranks of the insane.  -- Marcus Aurelius