[plug] GPS and maps

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Sat Apr 21 00:50:28 WST 2007

Michael Holland <myk at myk.id.au> wrote:
>On Fri, 20 Apr 2007, Gavin Chester wrote:

>> Hey, I know this is way OT and not the sort of geek answer you wanted,
>> but ever thought of getting good topographical maps, to supplement the
>> Bib. Track guide, and a compass?? ;-).  Maybe you can exercise the geek
>> in you by getting an electronic compass ;-)

>I reckon GPSs should have a small compass built in to the back, by law.
>To avoid deaths and expensive searches for geeks with flat batteries.

Compass is almost useless (and potentially dangerous) when you're
geographically embarrassed. You also need a good map and some time
to gather yourself, take sightings, bearings and correlate with what
you have on the map. Following disorientation, you can't be sure
which side of the track you're on so heading off on a bearing that
"should" intersect with the track can have you heading further off
the track. There's a better than 50% chance of that!

>As for the bibbulmun, the standard track maps and book have topology
>lines. Usually good enough to figure out where you are when you loose the
>track, so you can cut directly to the track, rather than retracing steps.

>A GPS would be great for off-the-track side trips, to find your way back
>to the start point. But its a bit sad if you want a GPS just to follow the
>track.

It might be to prove that he was following the track. :-)

>To get back OnT, has anybody used one of those cheap bluetooth-only GPS
>units? Any experience with Linux (or java) software that uses them?

I connected to my TomTom GPS using a Bluetooth USB dongle that made
it look just like a wired serial (which is, after all that bluetooth
does; remove the copper between the devices).

Other than confirming that I'm receiving NMEA sentences, I've not
done anything substantial (yet).
\ /  ASCII ribbon campaign | The object of life is not to be on the side of
 X   against HTML mail     | the majority but to escape finding oneself in
/ \  and postings          | the ranks of the insane.  -- Marcus Aurelius