[plug] GPS and maps

Timothy White weirdit at gmail.com
Sun Apr 22 17:28:44 WST 2007

On 4/21/07, Bernd Felsche <bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au> wrote:
> "Timothy White" <weirdit at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> I connected to my TomTom GPS using a Bluetooth USB dongle that made
> >> it look just like a wired serial (which is, after all that bluetooth
> >> does; remove the copper between the devices).
>
> >> Other than confirming that I'm receiving NMEA sentences, I've not
> >> done anything substantial (yet).
>
> >Hmmm. Any tips for connecting to the TomTom via Bluetooth? I have a
>
> RTFM :-)
>
> >Linux laptop with Bluetooth, and we have a TomTom Go 500 in the car.
> >It would be awesome to be able to extract the GPS info!
>
> Pair it like any other Bluetooth device and you should be abel to
> open the corresponding virtual serial port to see the NMEA
> sentences. Interpreting the sentences is best left to software. :-)

Ok. I've been playing around with this all afternoon. Or at least trying to.

Being rather new to Bluetooth, the most I've got to work is some stuff
with my phone, remote control for media players (xmms) and file
transfers.

I assume your using the normal TomTom software, and not the open TomTom stuff?
I tried hciattach and rfcomm, but without any luck. Care to enlighten me?

Thanks

Tim

--
Linux Counter user #273956