[plug] GPS and maps

Tim Bowden tim.bowden at westnet.com.au
Mon Apr 23 12:35:33 WST 2007

On Thu, 2007-04-19 at 20:18 +0800, William Kenworthy wrote:
> Just got myself a cheap GPS to use with my treo. Are there any useful
> maps of Perth and surrounds available?

Yes.  WA Govt provides bucket loads of geospatial data through the SLIP
(Shared Land Information Project) using OGC (Open Geospatial Consortium)
standards, namely wms (Web Map Service; Raster Data) and wfs (Web
Feature Service; Vector data).  You will need to register to get the
data (http://www2.landgate.wa.gov.au).  The service is still in pilot,
but I believe they have recently relaxed the limit on number of
subscribers to the service.  If you register, let me know of list and I
can give you a few pointers as to how to use it.

You will need a wms/wfs capable client to access the data
(http://udig.refractions.net which is also capable of viewing gps data).
What format do you need for your maps?

> GPSdrive under linux looks ok, but the supplied maps dont scale
> accurately (at one point, a location in Vic Park was rather wet - west
> of Rottnest) - the GPS seems accurate, its the software!  I will scan a
> map I have and see if its any better that way.
>
> Speaking of which, google maps seem hundreds of meters out at times, the
> web based mapquest was two streets away (seems to be a
> precision/rounding error) - much of the software (linux and palmOS)
> seems quite old, not a good state of play :(
>
> BillK

Google images are sometimes of questionable accuracy, and their utility
depends on what the accuracy you need.

For a run down on GIS (Geographic Information System) software for linux
(of which GPS is a very small part), try http://freegis.org.  In
particular:

http://www.gpsbabel.org/ for converting gps data between many common
formats

http://gpsd.berlios.de/ gps unit daemon for providing data to multiple
apps (site down atm, and expecting to move soon I believe).

http://postgis.refraction.net Spatial extension to postgresql rdbms
providing ogc compliant spatial objects and operations.

http://www.qgis.org/ GIS desktop application.  Good for viewing and
manipulating data, but can't (yet) do wfs.

http://www.openstreetmap.org Community built maps (think wikipedia), but
no data yet for WA.

http://www.osgeo.org World wide open source geospatial foundation.  The
main discuss mailing list is a great place for asking general questions
about open source GIS in general.  Will often result in being pointed to
the appropriate projects mailing list.

http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Australia  Australian Chapter of OSGeo
(in formation).  Questions about open source gis in Aust welcomed on the
mailing list.

list: Open source friendly, a good place for asking any type of general
gis/gps questions.

HTH,
Tim Bowden

--