[plug] Linux 'tips'

Tomasz Grzegurzko tomasz89 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 23 13:36:30 WST 2007

On 4/23/07, Lance Duivenbode <plug at duivenbode.id.au> wrote:

> Just a few 'tips' from a long-time Linux user who should have known
> better....
>
> #1 - Partition Structure
> Always know what the partition structure is on the machine you are
> *currently*
> working on. Just because your work machine uses /dev/hda for its
> partitions
> and /dev/sda for your thumbdrive, it does not mean that it is the same on
> all
> machines. On the rare occasion you are actually at home, it could be that
> your machine uses /dev/sda for it's partitions and /dev/sdb for your
> thumbdrive.

Indeed. Especially now since libata all drives will (probably) be
sd<something> instead of hd<something>...

#2 - Partition ID's
> Just because a partition is marked as HPFS/NTFS in the partition table, it
> does not mean that mke2fs will respect that. Which leads me to tip #3....

Well to be fair a partition ID doesn't imply anything about the
filesystem...

#3 - mke2fs
> mke2fs is extremely quick and unforgiving. Before you can say - wait
> that's my
> Windows partition - it's all over :(

Would you prefer it to be slower? I'm sure you can chuck a few sleeps in the
source ;)

#4 - Backups
> Always keep backups - even of your window's system!

Indeed, but if you're trashing Windows, you're probably beating it to the
chase anyway.

Bad luck anyway ;)

Tomasz