[plug] Upgrade fc4 to fc6

Gavin Chester sales at ecosolutions.com.au
Thu Apr 26 14:13:45 WST 2007

On Thu, 2007-04-26 at 13:08 +0800, Richard Meyer wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-04-26 at 11:59 +0800, Tim Bowden wrote:
> > On Thu, 2007-04-26 at 10:45 +0800, Tomasz Grzegurzko wrote:
> > > On 4/26/07, Tim Bowden <tim.bowden at westnet.com.au> wrote:
> > >         Hi all,
> > >
> > >         I recently tried to update a friends fc4 server (neglected in
> > >         the update
> > >         department for quite some time).  The primary aim was to get
> > >         it to fc6.
> > >

> > <big snip>

and another snip ;-)

> I remember reading about using apt to do live upgrades for SUSE a while
> ago, but it wasn't really supported.

Warning, this is personally untested so I may not know what I'm talking
about ;-) I want to put in a plug (pun) for my favourite app, 'smart'.
It handles yum repos on FC systems as well as other distros (deb, etc)

I have read on the suse list that you can do a live upgrade from suse 10
to 10.2, for example by simply pointing your repo list to all the
equivalent 10.2 urls instead of sticking with your existing list of
repos. Same should apply for the different versioning FC repos, I guess.
Might be worth reading up on if it's going to get you out of a bind, but
I'd recommend switching to smart anyway.

Gavin.