[plug] Upgrade fc4 to fc6

Marc Wiriadisastra marc at mwiriadi.id.au
Sun Apr 29 17:54:01 WST 2007

On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 00:13:45 +0800, Ian Kent wrote:

> On Thu, 2007-04-26 at 11:59 +0800, Tim Bowden wrote:
>> On Thu, 2007-04-26 at 10:45 +0800, Tomasz Grzegurzko wrote:
>> > On 4/26/07, Tim Bowden <tim.bowden at westnet.com.au> wrote:
>> >         Hi all,
>> >
>> >         I recently tried to update a friends fc4 server (neglected in
>> >         the update
>> >         department for quite some time).  The primary aim was to get
>> >         it to fc6.
>> >

>> <big snip>
>>

>> > If you used yum to update, then no it's not apt and the yum upgrade
>> > path is difficult and unsupported. There's a page at
>> > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/YumUpgradeFaq for general help and
>> > pitfalls.
>> >
>> > But basically for Debian-ers don't assume yum is a drop in
>> > replacement for apt. The supported upgrade path is with a CD/DVD
>> > upgrade.
>> >
>> > However, I have done FC4 yum upgrades successfully before so it's not
>> > impossible..
>> >
>> > Tomasz
>>
>> Ouch!  My mistake was to assume fcX would do live upgrades.  To be
>> honest, I'm a bit gobsmacked it doesn't.  Perhaps I've lived in debian
>> world for too long.  Some things just get taken for granted after a
>> while.  Is the live upgrade capabilities of debian derived distros
>> something unique or do any non deb based systems do live upgrades also?
>
> Why don't you log a bug against FC6 and find out why this doesn't work!
> If you do add me (ikent at redhat.com) to the CC list, I'd like to know
> what response you get.
>
> Ian

My understanding is that there is an issue with LVM and since the default
install of fedora uses LVM upgrading was an issue in yum.  Although I
have managed to upgrade fedora fc4 -> fc6 through fc5.  Generally it
needed yum upgrade yum then yum upgrade kernel and then rebooting into
the new kernel then doing a yum upgrade all.

You will however need to go from fc4 -> fc5 -> fc6.  Debian does do it
better however fedora is improving with there recent move towards opening
up rpm then from there yum will improve.

Someone mentioned smart before. I'm not sure if it can be done however
the benefit with smart is the multi package downloading. While this is
standard with apt/aptitude it hasn't been implemented with yum for some
reason.  All in all fedora is a different ditro and in some areas it is
playing catchup where as in other areas it is quite good.

HTH

Marc