[plug] LINUX AT WORK.

Brad Campbell brad at wasp.net.au
Wed Aug 1 20:26:26 WST 2007

Alex Polglaze wrote:
> I rec'd a copy of the Perth Business Catalogue the other day and the
> last business advertised is The 3rd Eye.
>
> They provide surveillance gear.
>
> So what,
>
> Right in the middle of the the ad is Tux and the words Linux based.
>
> Thought you may be interested

You'd be surprised. I'd say at least 30% if not more of the embedded surveillance kit now has linux
under the hood. It all really came about when a couple of cheap and nasty asian manufacturers
started building bt878 based multi-channel video capture boards and people realised they worked
almost out of the box with linux. This mob jumped on the opportunity and it's kinda grown from
there. Probably 1 in 4 budget DVR system I see here are running linux. The higher end stuff is still
based on XP or 2K embedded, but the trend is slowly changing.

There is a *very* large mainstream American CCTV manufacturer that has based almost all of their
backend storage for the latest integrated digitial CCTV system on linux servers. I don't really
shout that too loudly though as they've been at it for at least 3 years tho and it's still less
reliable than a cheap Chinese win98 based DVR. They'll get there though.

Brad