[plug] grub query in mixed sata / pata setup

Kev kdownes at tpg.com.au
Thu Aug 2 11:06:18 WST 2007

G'day Denis

You don't make it clear whether or not not you're happy with the 80g
drive being seen as /dev/sdd.  It /should/ be seen as (most likely)
/dev/hdb or (less likely) /dev/hdd.  There-in lies at least some of your
problem.

Cheers
Kev

Denis Brown wrote:
> Hello PLUG list members,
>
> Not totally sure if this is sata / pata related but here goes...
>
> ASUS P5K mobo with sata controller within the Intel P35 chipset
> (Northbridge, from what I can infer) and a JMicron JMB363 device
> providing pata and other services.   Disk setup is three 300GB sata
> which will be software RAID5'ed to provide the data store and an 80GB
> pata drive intended for system use.   Also pata CD/DVD-RW.
>
> The CD is connected as master, the 80GB drive as slave (I think it
> odd, but if I change that to HDD master and CD slave it will not see
> or boot from the CD.)
>
> Ubuntu (7.0.4 for 64-bit) installs on the 80GB drive and determines
> that it is /dev/sdd    The three to-be-RAIDed's are /dev/sda, sdb and
> sdc.    Attempt to boot from the HDD yields error 17 "Cannot mount
> selected partition" from GRUB.
>
> But... I activated the boot choice menu screen for Grub and it appears
> - ergo the path /boot/grub *is* being found.   Further, if I drop into
> Grub's shell (the "c" key from the boot choice menu) I can do a cat
> /boot/grub/menu.lst for example and find the contents as I expect
> them.   I can also successfully see the contents of fstab with a cat
> /etc/fstab
>
> So, what's its problem about not being able to mount the partition????
>
> May not be related... initially I was getting Grub error 5 and
> eliminated this by fdisk'ing the three data drives to create a
> partition on each.    Hmmm... maybe I should format them to something
> (ext3 for example) just in case Grub is trying to mount one of them.
> But why would it?   Nothing in the Ubuntu installation talked about
> setting up the data drives.
>
> Hitting with clue-bat appreciated :-)
> Denis

Kev Downes
kdownes at tpg.com.au  ph 0404 7 0808 2
We used to use and recommend Xandros but they went to the dark side
So we'll soon be using and recommending Debian Etch
There are 11 types of people ...
   ... those who understand Roman numerals, and those who don't!
"Jesus Christ is the centre of everything and the object of everything;
He who does not know him, knows nothing of the order of the world
and nothing of himself."             Blaise Pascal