[plug] openoffice calc api

Kirk Turner gameldar at gmail.com
Mon Aug 6 09:34:53 WST 2007

On 8/2/07, Steve Boak <sboak at westnet.com.au> wrote:

> Hi All
>
> I'm trying to update a couple of fields in an openoffice calc spreadsheet
> with
> data from an automated weather station but I'm having trouble finding an
> API
> to do it.
> perl, python, php, shell, any interface will do :-)

There is a programming API for OpenOffice - this may be overkill for what
you want to do, but I've used it in the past for doing document format
conversions (primarily from anything to PDF). It was a couple of years ago
and in OO 1.3, not 2.x variety but you should be able to access it from
there - and hopefully the 2.0 api has made improvements.

I was using the java api for all the work, but I believe there is a C++
extension (so potentially a scripting language could be used).

The 1.3 version had two drawbacks - 1. it wasn't particularly stable and 2.
it required X11 to be running, which when I was administering these servers
in Germany made it a pain, but vnc got me around some of those trouble.

I believe they were going to work on fixing point 2 for the 2.0 release.

You can have a look at http://api.openoffice.org

Kirk