[plug] [OT] Companies in Perth that can flash BIOS chips

Paul Antoine pma-la at milleng.com.au
Mon Aug 6 15:48:47 WST 2007

Ah yes, and to contribute further to dragging this back on-topic (a
little at least) is to mention that I run all my Windoze development
tools under Ubuntu+Crossover.  Microchip's MPLAB IDE and the ExpressPCB
Schematic/PCB software all run fine under Crossover.

I've even managed to find two open source tools that run natively under
Linux (gasp!)  Pikdev allows me to program the bootloader, and fsusb
lets me download the my programs to the PIC over USB via the bootloader.

Actually it was the maturity of Wine/Crossover and the Ubuntu desktop
that allowed me to run all this software which finally pushed me over
the edge to using Linux as my primary interface to the digital world.
It's only 25 years since I first used Unix... and finally it's all I use :-)

Further to the "once-upon-a-time" subtext: choice of a CPU vs glue logic
used to be about 10's or 100's of $$s... now use of a PIC is *cheaper*
than said glue logic, even more so when you count the cost of the square
mm of PCB saved. One therefore has now to find a *very* good excuse to
use a 74159 :-)

P.