[plug] How to convert without having to support??

Lance Duivenbode lance at duivenbode.id.au
Mon Aug 6 17:29:55 WST 2007

Another potential solution is to use Kubuntu. I've had my Dad running on a KDE
interface (first Sarge+KDE and now Kubuntu Feisty) for the last 3 years since
I got sick of constantly cleaning the malware from his machine.

After a standard Kubuntu install, I also installed Thunderbird and Firefox and
set the alternatives links to point to these instead of Konqueror and KMail.
Aside from this, the only changes I made was to the keyboard shortcuts (set
to Windows with Win key - under Regional & Accessibility->Keyboard Shortcuts)
and to the icon click mode (set to double click - under
Peripherals->Mouse->General). Both of these are found under the KDE Control
Center which can be accessed by running 'kcontrol' from a shell/run dialog.

Whilst he's certainly not an experienced user (he only had limited experience
on XP), he reckons that the only changes he noticed was that it doesn't crash
as much and he doesn't need to call me as often!

- Lance