[plug] How to convert without having to support??

Tim Bowden tim.bowden at westnet.com.au
Mon Aug 6 20:37:23 WST 2007

On Mon, 2007-08-06 at 20:22 +0800, Arie Hol wrote:

> On 6 Aug 2007 at 17:54, Kev wrote:
>
> > tim wrote:
> > > oh man, my advice would be don't get into it. it's been my experience that
> > > once you setup a computer for someone, it becomes your problem for
> LIFE!
> > > adding linux into the equation is just asking for pain. what happens
> when
> > > his kids send him a latest version wmv files in his email and he can't
> > > play it? phone call to you.
> >
> > While you're installing FF and TB install w32codecs.  However, in
> > general, in my experience also, Tim's correct.  Nothing you do for free
> will
> > ever be good enough.  (most) People don't value anything they get for
> free.
>
> As an aside to the content and context of this thread - I would like to
> make some comments that are not intended flame or offend :
>
> Reading this thread has highlighted a major problem - that has no owner  :
>
> We all wonder why Linux  is not being taken up by more people ?
>
> We all wonder what can be be done to further the cause of Linux ?
>
> We all wonder what we can do to help people with Linux and general
> computing ?
>
> Some of the comments made in the context of this thread, while well
> intended - show negative answers to the above questions.

Sometimes that's the reality.  We can't ignore it or we are living in a
fools paradise.

> Some of the well intended comments have a condemning effect on the cause of
> furthering Linux as a viable alternative.

Being realistic is always better.  It's better not to put someone on
linux if you can't offer the support they will need.  The alternative
may be that they try it, can't do what they need through lack of
support/ help and then move back to windows and never touch it again.

> In my opinion these comments, however valid in one context are not
> encouraging in other contexts, and perhaps should not be passed in a public
> medium that purportedly promotes the uptake and usage of Linux.

Everything should be done in public.  That's the nature of open source.
If people have a problem with seeing our disagreements, warts etc, then
maybe being a part of the open source community doesn't suit them.  I
can't see a problem with that.

> And yet some of these comments are made by people who would normally be
> "looked up to" by newcomers.
>
> Perhaps these comments are OK in a private conversion, but not a public
> mailing list.

 -1 as already stated.

> Hey guys - remember - a lot of newcomers are subscribed to this list.

That's a reason to be polite and keep the flames in check, not a reason
to hide the nature of who we are.

> This is not meant to be a personal attack by any means, I would hope that
> it gives us all a good "heads up" about what has been said in this thread.
>
> When you shoot yourself in the foot, it's very hard to smile and even
> harder to run for cover.

Recognising our limitations and weaknesses is a strength.  I don't see
how that is shooting ourselves in the foot.

> Just making  an observation.

Same ;-)

> Regards Arie

Tim Bowden