[plug] How to convert without having to support??

W.Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Mon Aug 6 20:43:28 WST 2007

On Mon, 2007-08-06 at 17:05 +0800, Steve Baker wrote:
> Paul Antoine wrote:
> > Folks,
> >
> > In deference to everyone's desire for on-topic content, I proffer the
> > following conundrum:
>
> The grandkids probably won't care - they'll notice it's a different
> system, click buttons, play with it, figure out what (if anything) is
> different from what they are used to, then explain it to grandad.

been there done that - and failed.

Daughter used linux for around 12 months because I didnt give her a
choice.  I spent a lot of time making things work and keeping them
working.  As soon as she could, she installed windows (even when I told
her she would have to look after it herself) and became happy because
she was then completely compatible with school and friends.  Yes linux
can be compatible, but that takes work and knowledge - the answer was:
why bother :(

My own mother went windows - because others in the family influenced her
- what do I know, I only teach the stuff ... they actually use it to do
interesting things like send email with smiley faces that move and send
pictures to each other (!)  Yes linux can do that, but its so much
easier in windows (so they have been told) and if something goes wrong
anyone can fix it.  Fix it herself - never ...

 Its a world of "users" out there who are not interested in knowing how
it works. If it breaks, just reinstall it (or get the kids to do so).
Lost data, no backups - who cares, its only data.  Be part of the
windows world and feel warm and fuzzy.  Yes its a lie, but they dont
seem to care!

And something else to think about - install anything for ANYONE (doze or
linux) and YOU will end up supporting it for life - there is no such
thing as install and forget.  Period!

BillK