[plug] How to convert without having to support??

Paul Antoine pma-la at milleng.com.au
Tue Aug 7 14:02:19 WST 2007

Tim Bowden wrote:
> Don't do it lightly.  Sometimes free is the most expensive.  Charge and
> you set a value benchmark, though that's often not possible.  Sometimes
> offering help is more of a trap than anything else.  Be sure you want to
> take on the job before you get yourself into it.

...which is a wise summary of so many of the posts!  I must admit to
having already had misgivings about this project due to the nature of
the person involved.  Now I'm even more inclined to say no.

Thanks for all your help - I hadn't thought of using Xandros as a
close-to-windows option as I've not looked at it in ages.

You're right about the draw of Windows... I'm sure I couldn't convince
my young nephews/nieces to switch to Ubuntu for much the same reasons.
MSN Messenger is much the dominant draw, as well as the current crop of
video-intensive games.

It seems to me that the 30-50 group is an easier class of potential
converts as they have some computer skills but largely want it for
email, web browsing, small office productivity tasks such as letters,
and maybe basic photo download and manipulation.

Thanks again to everyone for the informative discourse.

Paul