[plug] re: virualisation

Jon Miller jlmiller at mmtnetworks.com.au
Mon Aug 27 13:46:44 WST 2007

Does it matter which is the guest OS?

Regards,

Jon L. MIller
Director
MMT Networks Pty Ltd
East Perth, WA 6004

-----Original Message-----
From: plug-bounces at plug.org.au [mailto:plug-bounces at plug.org.au] On Behalf
Of Gregory Orange
Sent: Monday, 27 August 2007 10:04 AM
To: plug at plug.org.au
Subject: Re: [plug] re: virualisation

Jon L. Miller wrote:
> Looking at setting up a virutalisation desktop with SuSE Desktop Linux and
> XP.  Like to know the following:
> 1) has anyone has done it
> 2) hardware used and specs
> 3) dual monitors with 1 x OS per monitor.

Not quite the same, but I run Ubuntu Dapper 6.06 with XP virtualised
under it, and ordinarily running on a separate virtual desktop. Only one
monitor, but I don't see why it wouldn't be ok if you had two monitors
working under X and then just whacked your VMWare Server (or whatever
product you use) on the second display.

Hardware: HP Compaq nx5000, P-M 1.6GHz, 768MB RAM, 40GB HDD. Runs fairly
well, but would run better with more RAM. I've given 300MB of RAM to the
VM (and told it to swap it out modestly ie "some" when it sees fit), but
YMMV coz it depends on how much you'll be doing in each OS.

On the same machine I also boot up into straight Windows XP sometimes,
and not surprisingly, it runs noticeably faster and more smoothly.

Greg.
PLUG discussion list: plug at plug.org.au