[plug] re: virualisation

Paul Antoine pma-la at milleng.com.au
Mon Aug 27 14:51:27 WST 2007

I imagine that for financial apps you may find Crossover both sufficient
and faster.  I've had a lot of success running M$ Excel etc. in addition
to a range of electronics CAD tools I use under Crossover. Photoshop
reportedly runs ok under Crossover too, especially if as you say you're
just using it for small editing jobs.

This removes the need for a Win XP license (saves some $$s), and as an
added bonus you can cut and paste between linux and windows apps.

Thought you'd like to know all the options :-)

BTW: I run the Win apps under Crossover/Ubuntu on an old IBM T30 laptop
with 512MB of memory and a crappy P4M CPU running at 1.8Ghz. I can't run
Xen and I don't dare contemplate just how slow VMWare would be on this
hardware.

Paul