[plug] Open source drive copy for multiple OSes

sothisistheinternet sothisistheinternet at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 20:04:38 WST 2007

Hi again all,

In our slow crawl towards open source at work, we're starting to look
at alternatives to basic programs before we take the plunge with
desktops or servers. Right now I'd like to find a drive imaging
program that will permit me to make a drive copy (preferably
compressed) to an external drive or DVD burner of our servers' OS
drives. We haven't moved to a linux server yet (but we now have space
for an attempt at this), so the drive image would be of a Windows 2003
SBS system. We need to be able to keep the image and restore to new
hard drives in the event of a serious hardware failure.

I was thinking of using a basic linux boot disc and learning more
about the dd program. Would this do the trick, or should I be looking
down another path?

Cheers,

Ari